Applies To: 2004-07 Acura TL (ALL)
A moan or whine is heard when turning the steering wheel when the engine is cold. There may be air bubbles or foam in the power steering reservoir. The noise usually goes away when the engine warms up.
Air enters the power steering pump through the inlet joint O-ring.
Replace the O-ring on the power steering pump inlet joint.
O-ring: P/N 91345-RDA-A01
Acura Power Steering Fluid: P/N 08206-9002 (One container repairs about 12 vehicles.)
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
In warranty: The normal warranty applies.
Operation Number: 5121B5
Flat Rate Time: 0.3 hour
Failed Part: P/N 91345-PAA-A01
Defect Code: 07408
Symptom Code: 04201
Template ID: 07-060A
Skill Level: Repair Technician
Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.
1. Remove the right side engine compartment cover (7 clips and 1 bolt).
2. Remove the bolt holding the inlet joint to the power steering pump housing.
3. Place a shop towel under the pump inlet.
4. Twist the inlet joint back and forth until it is loose, then carefully disconnect the joint and point the hose upward to minimize fluid loss.
5. Remove the inlet joint O-ring.
6. Apply power steering fluid to a new O-ring, and install it on the inlet joint.
7. Install the inlet joint, and torque its bolt to 11 N.m (8 lb-ft).
8. Top off the power steering fluid, if needed. Start the engine, and let it idle. Confirm that the noise is gone and that the system is operating properly.
9. Install the right side engine compartment cover.
If this site helped you save some money, please donate via PayPal. Any amount accepted! Thank you. :)